Where to get your hair cut and nails done in Buffalo

Places to go for all your grooming needs

<p>Freddie Rivera, who graduated from UB, gets his hair cut at Rosanne’s in The Commons.</p>

Freddie Rivera, who graduated from UB, gets his hair cut at Rosanne’s in The Commons.

UB students spend eight months of the year living in Buffalo, yet many wait until they go home for a fresh haircut or a nice manicure. The comfort of home and the experience they get in their familiar environment is something to be appreciated.

But when your hair starts getting in your eyes and your nails resemble claws, it’s time to make moves and try something new.

Below is a compilation of places that can become the new go-to for a quick trim or a drastic change.

Rosanne’s Hair Shop

The salon is conveniently located right inside the UB Commons and provides service to both students and faculty on a regular basis.

The average price for a visit is around $20, but it depends entirely upon what service you utilize. In addition to haircuts, Rosanne’s also sells hair products including gels and conditioner.

Rosanne’s offers coloring, blowouts, extensions and perms on top of trims and cuts. They have a few stylists on staff, so it’s usually not too difficult to walk in and find someone with availability.

They accept Campus Cash, like many of the shops in the Commons, as well as cash and credit cards.

So if you’re having a hair disaster, run on over to Rosanne’s for a solid, local fix.

Lady Jane’s Haircuts for Men

Lady Jane’s is the man-cave of salons. Its waiting room is filled with flat-screens, big comfortable recliners and tablets to fill out patrons’ information.

The salon is located at 1731 Sheridan Drive in Tonawanda, only about 15 minutes from North Campus.

The salon doesn’t just offer haircuts – but beard, mustache and goatee trimming, hair coloring and waxing are also services offered at this one-stop service.

Lady Jane’s has reasonable prices, but be wary – though at first you may not find your stylist, do not always choose the “random” option. If you like the way one of the stylists cuts, keep going back to her – it’s not worth the chance of being there for a long time or not getting the perfect cut.

Buffalo Trim

This salon is UB friendly – it is located right at 1300 Sweethome Road in the new shopping center and takes Campus Cash.

Their shop is new-age, filled with stylists who specialize in the latest hair trends and work to perfect your look. Like Lady Jane’s, this salon offers entertainment for its customers with billiards, dartboards and flat-screens.

A cut is only $15 and the salon is open every day.

They have a Workin’ Man Package that includes a haircut, hot lather neck shave and an invigorating shampoo, if you feel like treating yourself.

Buffalo Trim is easy to get to, and has another location on North French Road.

Natural Nails

Finding a salon with reasonable prices that treat your nails right can be difficult. Though it can be easy to just do them yourself, sometimes it’s nice a manicure as a treat. Look to Natural Nails on Ellicott Street for this combination – though it’s not super close to North, it’s convenient for those living in the University Heights and on South Campus.

Natural Nails offers a manicure for $15 and a gel for $25. This salon doesn’t require an appointment, but it doesn’t accept credit cards – cash only.

Pedicures, waxing and other services typically available in a nail salon are available at Natural Nails.

It’s worth the visit, especially if you have an upcoming special event or are just looking to have them done by a professional.

Hair I Am Unisex Salon

Hair I Am is the place to go for anyone looking to kill those dead ends, change up their look or just get it styled differently. Though the haircuts are a little pricier, their quality is worth the money. The hairdressers who are there have been there for years, and know how to work with each other and their customer base.

They provide a variety of services, from blowouts to special occasions and eyebrow waxing.

Hair I Am is located right on Transit Road, so it’s not too far to get a nice new ’do.

Tori Roseman is the senior features editor and can be reached at tori.roseman@ubspectrum.com.