The grapevine

Your comprehensive listing of Buffalo’s weekly shows

Indie rock, punk rock, folk and experimental pop will grace Buffalo's music scene this week, featuring bands like Murder by Death, the Avett Brothers, Mikal Cronin and of Montreal.

Monday, Sept. 14

of Montreal – Babeville

Hailing from Athens, Georgia, this progressive rock and experimental pop outfit has been making music since 1996 as a part of the Elephant 6, a collective of prominent Indie rockers from the ’90s. In the past 19 years, of Montreal has released 12 albums and played hundreds of shows. The group makes its return to Buffalo on Monday, playing at Ashbury Hall at Babeville downtown.

Tuesday, Sept. 15

Mikal Cronin – Mohawk Place

Mikal Cronin is a garage and punk rocker who has been on the up in the Indie rock scene for a few years. Playing guitar in Ty Segall’s band landed Cronin on the radar and he has since started to expand into his own solo material. He is returning to Buffalo, having visited a few years back, looking to get his name out in the local scene. He will play at Mohawk Place on Tuesday.

Wednesday, Sept. 16

Murder by Death – Waiting Room

Murder by Death is an Indie rock band from Bloomington, Indiana. The group has released 7 albums since 2002 and is best known for its spiraling, winding instrumentals in its songs. Murder by Death will be gracing the Waiting Room with this medley of instrumentals and jams this week – come out and catch them play Wednesday.

Thursday, Sept. 17

X Ambassadors – Showplace Theatre

X Ambassadors has recently found a more mainstream following in the past couple years. The group, from Ithaca, New York, has been touring around the country in the wake of their debut album, VHS. Its poppy alternative rock will be held in the Showplace Theatre for Alternative Buffalo’s Birthday Show and is already sold out.

Friday, Sept. 18

The Chris Robinson Brotherhood – Town Ballroom

This blues rock band is coming to play in Buffalo at the Town Ballroom – the band has released three albums since 2011 and is known for its unique, experimental live style, often improving songs during their shows. Come out to see CRB play and jam out on Friday.

Saturday, Sept. 19

The Avett Brothers – Artpark

The Avett Brothers, a well-known folk rock bank from Concord, North Carolina, will be coming to the Artpark. With eight albums and countless world tours under their belt, The Avett Brothers will be sure to show off their showmanship, known for their high-energy live shows. Come and relax in Lewiston on Saturday for a great concert – one of the last outdoor concerts of the summer.

Sunday, Sept. 20

Atlas Genius – Waiting Room

The Indie rockers Atlas Genius, coming off the release of their second album Inanimate Objects, will be coming to Buffalo on the Northeast part of their American tour. The band, signed to Warner Bros. Records, was born as a part of the alternative rock revival started in the early 2000s and is still going strong. Come out to see them perform at the Waiting Room on Sunday.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com.