Quick look: Penn State defeats UB Bulls 27-14

<p>Buffalo senior running back Anthone Taylor gets tackled in the Bulls' 27-14 loss to Penn State Saturday at Beaver Stadium. </p>

Buffalo senior running back Anthone Taylor gets tackled in the Bulls' 27-14 loss to Penn State Saturday at Beaver Stadium. 

The football team (1-1) fell 27-14 to Penn State (1-1) in State College, Pennsylvania Saturday afternoon.

Sloppiness and penalties were the themes of the game as the rain came down all day in Beaver Stadium. The Bulls committed 14 penalties for 107 yards while both teams failed to get into a rhythm for the majority of the first half.

Buffalo got within three at 10-7 in the third quarter with a Joe Licata 14-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Ron Willoughby. But the Nittany Lions rolled off 17 points to take a commanding 27-7 lead in the fourth. Buffalo would add another touchdown, a 10-yard pass to wide receiver Marcus McGill, with a little less than five minutes left. But Penn State essentially clinched the game by recovering the ensuing onside kick attempt.

With the loss, Buffalo has still never begun a season 2-0 or defeated a Power 5 opponent in its Division-I history.

The Bulls stay on the road with a game at Florida Atlantic next Saturday at noon.

Tom Dinki is the editor in chief and can be reached at tom.dinki@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @tomdinki.