Around town: Festivals, food, art and more

<p>Indie-rock group Modest Mouse, along with punk-rock group Rise Against, will headline Edgefest, an alternative music festival at the Buffalo Outer Harbor this weekend.</p>

Indie-rock group Modest Mouse, along with punk-rock group Rise Against, will headline Edgefest, an alternative music festival at the Buffalo Outer Harbor this weekend.

Downtown Buffalo can often go unappreciated by students who have a hard time getting there without a car. Fortunately, there are buses and trains that offer rides back and forth, giving students an opportunity to explore another side of Buffalo. While the weather is still nice, a weekend adventure around the town is easy – as long as you know where to go.

Niagara County Peach Festival

Still clinging on to those last few weeks of sunshine and warmth? What better way to get a taste of Buffalo summer than with the 58th annual Niagara County Peach Festival. The event goes on all weekend at Academy Park in Lewiston and will include live music, food and a parade.

The carnival will feature rides, a Peach Queen contest on Friday night and a Peach Taste-Off on Saturday.

Screenplay: Life in an Animated World at the Albright-Knox

Those new to Buffalo may not realize what treasures downtown Buffalo holds – one of them being the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. One of many museums in the district, the Albright-Knox offers unique opportunities for students to engage in art both modern and classic.

The installation, “Screenplay: Life in an Animated World,” focuses on the latest technology artists are using today to animate their ideas. The exhibition encompasses over two decades of work from about 36 artists and explains their processes and how they “enter an alternate universe” when animating. The installation is only at the Albright-Knox until Sunday Sept 13, so check it out over the weekend.

Buffalo Zombie Mud Run

Instead of hitting the gym this weekend, join the mission to survive at The Great Pumpkin Farm’s Zombie Mud Run. The 5K encompasses 13 obstacles and, of course, forces runners to avoid zombies. There are safe zones and hydration stations to help complete the mission.

You can sign up to be a runner, a zombie or a volunteer. There are two types of zombies – Roamer zombies, who are planted throughout the course and move slowly, and Chaser zombies, who start their chase 5 minutes after the last runner in the pack leaves the “quarantine” zone. Participants are given three lifelines – once those are lost, the runner becomes a zombie.

Welcome to the apocalypse.

Edgefest

If you’re not a fan of Big Sean or the hip-hop scene, skip out on UB’s Fall Fest and go to Edgefest, the alternative festival on Saturday at the Buffalo Outer Harbor. Starting at 3 p.m., bands such as local group Made Violent, Sheepdogs and July Talk will be playing at the outdoor venue. Later in the night, the bigger names perform – indie-rock group Modest Mouse and punk-rock group Rise Against.

Tickets are $38 in advance and $43 the day of the show.

Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day party

For some, waiting until March to celebrate Irish culture is just too long. River Fest Park will be hosting the fifth annual “Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day” party on Friday, Sept. 11. The concert is student-budget friendly, offering free parking and free admission. It features “The LeftOvers,” a band that has generated popularity throughout Buffalo and Western New York for the last 14 years.

The event begins at 7 p.m. and food and refreshments will be sold.

Bisonfest

Those in the 21+ crowd can enjoy a Bavarian-style beer festival complete with German foods. The event takes place on Saturday, Sept. 12 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Flying Bison Brewery. The Brewery will be serving three German-style beers – “Buffalo Lager,” “Buffalo Kolsch 716,” and “Oak-Aged Bisonator Doppelbock.” Each participant receives a souvenir mug – the $30 admission price gives attendants three drink tokens, a meal and a side dish as well.

Along with food and drink, German atmosphere will be provided by the musical styling of “The Frankfurters.”

Tori Roseman is the senior features editor and can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com