Isaiah Rashad to perform along with Big Sean, Jeremih and Tink at UB Fall Fest

SA announces surprise additional Fall Fest performer

<p>Isaiah Rashad (pictured) will perform at Fall Fest on Sept. 12 along with Big Sean, Jeremih and Tink. </p>

Isaiah Rashad (pictured) will perform at Fall Fest on Sept. 12 along with Big Sean, Jeremih and Tink. 

The Student Association made a surprise announcement Tuesday that Isaiah Rashad will also perform at Fall Fest on Sept. 12, along with Big Sean, Jeremih and Tink.

Isaiah Rashad is a hip-hop artist from Chattanooga, Tennessee. He is signed to Top Dawg Entertainment – the label that represents last year’s Fall Fest headliner, Schoolboy Q.

Recently, Rashad has been touring around the world as an opening act for Schoolboy Q. His first extended play, Clivia Demo, has generated a large amount of hype for the young rapper – including his placement on XXL Magazine’s lauded Freshman List in 2014.

SA revealed that it would announce an additional artist for Fall Fest on social media early Tuesday, and that the first person to correctly guess the artist would receive meet and greet tickets to the show. SA's only clue was that the artist was an up-and-comping artist from Top Dawg Entertainment. 

UB students Andrew Meyer and Andrew Sheehan were the first to correctly guess Rashad on Facebook and Twitter, respectively. 

Meyer, a sophomore business administration major, said he guessed Rashad after simply googling the label and seeing that Rashad was a recently signed artist. Meyer said this was not his first time participating in SA social media promotional campaigns. When oceanographer Robert Ballard came to speak at UB for the Distinguished Speaker Series on April 1, Meyer's question was chosen out of the hundreds of submissions to SA to be asked directly to Ballard during the event.

The SA website lists Meyer as the president of SA club Jewish Student Union.

Sheehan, a sophomore accounting major, had already known of Rashad and that the young artist was signed with Top Dawg Entertainment. For Sheehan, the chance to meet Rashad is just icing on the cake because of how good the lineup for Fall Fest is this year, he said.

This year's Fall Fest is better than last year's, Sheehan said, because "this year we have two big headliners, Big Sean and Jeremih."

Fall Fest is one of SA’s bi-annual concerts – the other, a spring concert called Spring Fest. The concerts, like SA, are funded by undergraduate students through the mandatory student activity fee of $104.75 a semester. All undergraduate students get into the concerts for free with a student I.D.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @_brnwnd.