Spotify playlist: Bringing down the house

Music to listen to in the comfort of your home, apartment or dorm

<p></p>

As cliché as it may sound, a house isn’t always a home. Dorm rooms don’t compare to the comfort of your bed back home and apartment-living provides a freedom you can’t quite find living with your parents. There are different types of houses – the literal place you live, and the home you make by surrounding yourself with company you enjoy. In the spirit of this idea, here’s a playlist that covers two different houses – House music and songs that reflect what makes a house a home.

"Burning down the house" –The Used

The post-hardcore band created this track for the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen soundtrack. The song is quieter than their other tracks from Lies for the Liars, like “Pretty Handsome Awkward.” It also has less emotional depth, compared to tracks like “The Bird and the Worm” or “The Taste of Ink.” Their heavy guitar and alternative metal feel remains, making this song different in nature but similar in sound.

"Brick House" – The Commodores

If you didn’t dance to this song at every wedding or Bat-mitzvah you’ve ever been to, then you probably didn’t have a childhood. This funky tune from the late ’70s has a beat you can groove to and lyrics you can move to. The tune is about a powerful woman with a big body that she’s proud of – she’s the figurative house. The saxophone that accents the choppy beat is the song’s signature, making it recognizable from miles away.

"White Houses" – Vanessa Carlton

The quirky tune about being young and keeping secrets holds true to the playlist’s theme of houses. The singer-songwriter talks about hanging out in the summer and the secrets that are kept within the walls of the houses they stay in. The almost stereotypical tale of teenage love is seen with her lyrics “He’s so funny in his bright red shirt / We were all in love and we all got hurt.” “White Houses” will make you long for summer even more than usual.

"Home" – Phillip Phillips

The American Idol winner released this indie single shortly after his stint on the show, proving he deserved the win. The heartwarming melody about making a house a home is quiet in instruments and utilizes Philip’s powerhouse voice as the main attraction. His country flair gives this song its comforting feel, without distancing those who don’t love the genre.

"Make me feel better" – Alex Adair

In a typical house music fashion, the song starts out slow, with a beat provided by percussion and synths to lead into the artist’s lyrics. The repetitive nature of the lyrics isn’t unexpected, but the gentle snaps and the heavy use of xylophone give the song a softer vibe. The come down is careful to not lose listeners’ interest, and the come up is slow but effective. Not the most exciting song, but still provides a solid beat to dance along to.

"Play hard" – David Guetta ft. Ne-Yo and Akon

You know this song. You’ve heard it at parties for the last year, and the artists are easily recognizable. Personally, I think the inclusion of Ne-Yo and Akon gives this otherwise typical house song its unique rap spin, making it a club hit and catchy as anything. The music video has as much variety as the artists, featuring various groups of people like cowboys or mobsters working hard for what they earn.

"Anything could happen" –Ellie Goulding

The artist came up to the spotlight a few years ago with her hits “Lights” and “Starry Eyed,” becoming known for her airy sound and aggressive beats. “Anything Could Happen” is similar to much of Goulding’s music – house music that has both verses and choruses is not a common trait. The come up after the first verse prepares listeners for a slow but heavy beat drop, utilizing synths and speed to make her sound different from other house artists.

"Goodmorning America" – Trendsetter & Mark Holiday

This deep house song is predominantly beat driven. Instead of using lyrics to break up the song, the beat is either expanded through the addition of new instruments or changed completely. It starts with a slow progression, like many other house songs, but keeps listeners intrigued through its changing beat. The song is one of the first of 2015 to drop, but has risen in popularity along with its artists.

Tori Roseman is the senior arts editor and can be reached at tori.roseman@ubspectrum.com