Quick hits: Soccer sweeps in the UK, baseball claims first conference victory

<p>The men’s soccer team poses with Hayes and Yeading FC. The Bulls traveled to the United Kingdom over spring break and went 4-0 in competition that ranged from U19 teams to professional squads.</p>

The men’s soccer team poses with Hayes and Yeading FC. The Bulls traveled to the United Kingdom over spring break and went 4-0 in competition that ranged from U19 teams to professional squads.

Women’s tennis (5-7, 1-1 Mid-American Conference)

The women’s tennis team earned its first MAC victory over Easter Michigan (5-10, 1-1 MAC) this past Sunday at the Miller Tennis Center. The Bulls won both of their doubles matches and four out of the six singles matches. Senior Laura Fernandez opened the day with a doubles victory with sophomore Laura Holterbosch, giving the pair a 9-6 record for the season. Buffalo will host Miami Ohio (8-6) at 1 p.m. on Friday.

Men’s tennis (8-6)

The men’s tennis team lost to No. 52 Cornell (8-5) this past Sunday at the Reis Tennis Center in Ithaca, New York. Junior Sergio Arevalillo and sophomore Jonathan Hannestad’s first doubles match of the day was suspended at 4-4. Cornell won the rest of the doubles matches and swept all six single matches. The Bulls will travel to face No. 22 Harvard (12-5) at 10 a.m. on Saturday in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Men’s baseball (4-12, 1-2 MAC)

The Bulls were swept by No. 22 Houston in their three-game series that started on March 13 and ended March 15 (17-7). The Bulls were outscored 23-4 over the three games. This past weekend, Buffalo won its first conference victory in the third game against Northern Illinois (11-11, 2-1 MAC).

The Huskies won the first two games in a doubleheader on Saturday, but the Bulls salvaged the series on Sunday, winning 5-1. Junior outfielder Nick Sinay stole his 11th base of the season and scored the game’s first run off of a triple from senior infielder Tanner Robinson. Buffalo will travel to play Canisius (10-13, 3-0 MAAC) at 3:15 p.m. on Tuesday at the Demske Sports Complex in Buffalo, New York.

Women’s softball (7-20)

The women’s softball team played in the Cal-State Northridge Tournament from March 13-15 and went 1-3 over the four games. The following Tuesday, the Bulls dropped a doubleheader to Cal State Fullerton (20-12) and was outscored 16-4 over both games. The three-game losing streak ended when Buffalo defeated Harvard (7-12) on Wednesday in Los Angeles, but lost to Loyola Marymount (18-21) on the same day. On Thursday, San Diego (21-14) defeated the Bulls 2-0. Buffalo finished its road trip against California Polytechnic (16-16), but lost both games in the doubleheader. The Bulls were outscored 12-2 over the two games. Buffalo returns home to begin MAC play. The Bulls will play Kent State (17-6) on Saturday at 2 p.m.

Men’s soccer

The Bulls traveled to England to play four spring training games and won each match they played over spring break. Buffalo began the tour on March 15 in London and won against the English professional team Hayes & Yeading 5-2.

Two days later, the Bulls went to Barnet where they shutout the U21 Barnet FC 2-0. Buffalo traveled northwest to Stoke for their third match of the tour where they defeated Stoke City U21 3-1. The Bulls concluded their tour in northern England, where they beat FirstPoint USA 5-0. Junior forward Steven Stryker tallied his first career hat trick in the victory.

Junior midfielder Russell Cicerone also scored and had an assist, ending his tour with five goals and four assists in four games. Buffalo has returned to the states and will host St. Bonaventure and Olivet College on Saturday at 2 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., respectively.

email: sports@ubspectrum.com