Quick hits: baseball wins first game of the season, women’s tennis sweeps Niagara

<p>UB's Stephanie Reid drives to the basket against an Akron defender. Reid finished with 21 points and four assists in the Bulls’ 16th win of the season.</p>

UB's Stephanie Reid drives to the basket against an Akron defender. Reid finished with 21 points and four assists in the Bulls’ 16th win of the season.

Baseball (1-4)

The Bulls played in a doubleheader against Bucknell (5-2) on Saturday ad lost the first game 17-4, but won the second matchup – their first win of the season, by a score of 5-3. In the 17-4 loss, the Bulls only managed seven hits compared to Bucknell’s 15. In their victory however, the Bulls had 11 hits to Bucknell’s five.

The Bulls were supposed to play Bucknell again on Sunday, but the game was canceled due to heavy rains.

The Bulls will play on Friday at Wright State (4-4).

Men’s Basketball (19-9, 10-6 Mid-American Conference)

The Bulls took a crucial conference win against Kent State (19-10, 10-6 MAC) on Saturday evening, winning 71-65. Sophomore guard Shannon Evans continued his hot streak, leading the Bulls with 21 points and six assists.

Buffalo outshot Kent State, shooting 50 percent from the field. The Golden Flashes only shot 37.7 percent from the field and 18.2 percent from downtown.

Buffalo plays again on Tuesday, March 3 against Ohio (9-18, 2-14 MAC).

Men’s Tennis (7-3)

The Bulls topped Monmouth (4-3) 4-1 over the weekend. The Bulls won one of the three doubles matches, and swept Monmouth in singles matchups.

Sophomore Jonathan Hannestad won his match 6-0, 6-4 and junior Akhil Mehta played to a 6-1, 6-4 victory.

On Sunday, the team lost to No. 23 Princeton (11-3) by a score of 4-3 at the Jadwin Gym in Princeton, New Jersey. The team split the singles matches, but lost two of three doubles matches. Juniors Amar Hromic and Pablo Alvarez edged out the only doubles win of the day.

The team will play next Saturday when it faces Brown (7-2) in Providence, Rhode Island at 10 a.m.

Softball (4-11)

The Bulls played the Black and Orange Challenge this weekend, losing all four games. Buffalo lost to Kennesaw St. (10-4) 4-9, and then fell to Mercer (10-9) 8-1 on Friday. On Saturday, the Bulls lost to Kennesaw St. again, 16-7, and then Mercer for a second time, 9-8.

On Sunday, the Bulls played Evansville (4-14) pulled out a 14-13 extra innings victory. Sophomore outfielder/catcher Ashton Earnhardt went four for five on Sunday.

The Bulls will play again on March 13 against Bryant (4-4).

Track and Field

The track and field teams competed in the 2015 Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships in Mount Pleasant, Michigan on Saturday. The men’s team finished fourth our of five teams, while the women finished fifth out of 12 teams.

Senior Jonathan Jones had a MAC Championship and school record 20.06 meter toss in the shot put. The men’s team earned gold in the distance medley relay in the on Friday. Sophomore Treyvon Mask and juniors Cameron Bruce, Tyler Scheving and Brian Crimmins finished the relay in 10:04.47.

The women’s take took gold 200-meter dash and the 800 run by junior Camaria Long and senior Meghan Manley’s victories receptively.

The Bulls will compete again at the NCAA Indoor Championships in Fayetteville, Arkansas on Friday, March 13.

Women’s Basketball (16-11, 9-7 MAC)

The women’s basketball team took on Akron (20-7, 10-6 MAC) in Alumni Arena on Saturday and won 87-80.

Freshman guard Stephanie Reid scored a career-high 21 points on 6-of-10 shooting. Sophomore guard Joanna Smith was right behind with 20 points of her own. Akron’s Sina King, Anita Brown and Hannah Plybon combined to score 71 of the Zips’ 80 points on the night

The Bulls will play again on Wednesday on the road against Bowling Green (19-8,11-5 MAC).

Women’s Tennis (3-4)

The Bulls took a close loss to Duquesne (6-4) on Friday, losing 4-3. The Bulls failed to win a doubles match, but split singles victories against the Dukes at three wins apiece. Sophomore Margarita Kotok had a straight-set sweep, winning 6-2, 6-2.

On Sunday, the team swept Niagara (3-4) for its first shutout of the season. Freshman Tanja Stojanovska swept Niagara’s Iva Celan 6-0, 6-0 in first singles. Sophomore Laura Holterbosch was the only player to take a singles match into three sets, but edged out Niagara’s Maria Ortiz in a tiebreaker in the third set.

The team will return home next week when it takes on Binghamton (3-4) on Saturday, March 7 at the Miller Tennis Center. The match is set for 1 p.m.

Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com