The Grapevine: Dopapod, The Nth Power and Voiceplay

Your weekly Buffalo concert breakdown

Buffalo, this week especially, is a city that champions local talent. Buffalo has its usual diverse range of concerts featured in “The Grapevine,” from a nationally acclaimed a capella group to a funk and soul band. This week there are also three local talents performing throughout the city. Every show promises a great time, whether you’re looking to party and dance at a electro DJ set or just lounge around and listen to rock ‘n’ roll – Buffalo has it all.

Monday, Feb. 23

Voiceplay – Town Ballroom

Voiceplay was featured on Season Four of the NBC’s “The Sing-Off.” They are an a capella group whose sounds have captivated audiences around the world. Their song choices range in genre and era, as a musically group who has taken their live show to the next level in terms of flexibility and originality. Their performance will surely be a visceral, vocal experience, as Voiceplay is not only known for their incredible talent and vocal range, but also their fun-loving, easy-going shows.

Wednesday, Feb. 25

Jessica Chizuk – Ironworks

Jess Chizuk is a Buffalo native on the rise. After high school, the Buffalonian songwriter moved to LA to focus on her music, but has since returned and has begun to cement her own place in the local scene. Nominated as the Buffalo Music Award’s “Best Solo Act,” Chizuk performs with nothing but an acoustic guitar, letting her own graceful, airy vocals do the work for her.

Thursday, Feb. 26

Dopapod – Tralf

Dopapod’s music can always get listeners to move their bodies, with their long keyboard and guitar riffs. Dopapod is the modern jam-band, born from a combination of progressive rock and dance music. Spiraling instrumental solos prioritize the grooves over the lyrics drive performances. The band always delivers a high-energy, easily danceable show. Come to the Tralf on Wednesday to move your body and break up the monotony of the week.

Solidisco – Waiting Room

Falling on the techno and electronic music end of the spectrum, Solidisco is a duo of DJs who call Buffalo their home. On Thursday, the pair of performers will be bringing their talents to the Waiting Room to party. Their music is a throwback to trademark house music in the ’80s and ’90s. Come get crazy with the Solidisco at the Waiting Room, a small venue perfect for a dance party.

The Naturalists – Mohawk Place

Another Buffalo group, The Naturalists are a band just beginning to find their groove in the local scene. In the way that Solidisco is a pure house group, The Naturalists are similarly a pure garage rock band whose heavy riffs seem as if they were written in the heyday of garage rock in the ’60s and ’70s.

Friday, Feb. 27

The Proles - Nietzsche’s

The rock group, The Proles, will be performing at Nietzsche’s on Friday, as part of Artvoice’s “Battle of Original Music Semifinals.” The winner of the competition will perform at Kerfuffle, Buffalo’s annual summer music festival held at Canalside. Come out to support the predominantly UB student rock group as they play their own fusion of rock, blues and ska in an attempt to get to the next round of the competition.

Saturday, Feb. 28

The Nth Power – Waiting Room

The Nth Power is a soul group. Their crooning, groovy music is filled with raspy vocal choruses, lush guitar riffs and rhythmic percussions. The band was formed on a whim during an impromptu jazz jam session in New Orleans – since then they haven’t looked back. They believe their music is magical, and audiences around the world agree. The Nth Power preaches at every concert about the strength of love. This concert will certainly be no different, as the Nth Power brings their powers of funk, groove and soul to Buffalo.

Brian Windschitl is an arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com