"Quick hits: basketball season continues, football to announce new class, men's soccer to host tryouts"

Junior forward Mackenzie Loesing and the Bulls will host Toledo and Bowling Green this week. Buffalo is 3-1 in their last four games after beginning MAC play 1-3. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum

Men’s basketball (14-6, 5-3 Mid-American Conference)

After defeating then MAC East leader Kent State Friday night, Buffalo will play the best team in the East and the worst team in the West this week.

The Bulls play at Ball State (7-12, 2-6 MAC) Wednesday and at Akron (15-6, 6-2 MAC) Saturday. The Bulls have not faired well on the road this season; they have lost three – all in conference – straight away from Alumni Arena. They are 6-6 on the road for the season.

Women’s basketball (11-8, 4-4 MAC)

Coming off two straight wins, Buffalo will host Toledo (12-7, 5-3 MAC) and Bowling Green (9-11, 2-7 MAC) at Alumni Arena this week. The Bulls face the Rockets at 7 p.m. Wednesday before hosting the Falcons on Saturday at 2 p.m.

The Bulls have gone 3-1 in their last four games after starting MAC play 1-3. Senior forward Kristen Sharkey has averaged 21 points over her last three games and leads the Bulls for the season with an a average of 14.1 points per game.

Women’s tennis (1-1)

Buffalo fell 6-1 to El Paso Texas Saturday for its first loss of the season. Sophomore Laura Fernandez earned the Bulls’ lone point when she defeated the Miners’ Daphne Visscher 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.

The Bulls host West Virginia (1-1) on Friday at 1 p.m. It will be Buffalo’s last game until Feb. 20.

Men’s tennis (4-3)

The Bulls went 2-1 this weekend, defeating Army (0-3) and Boston College (2-4) on Friday and Saturday before falling 4-0 to Central Florida (5-4) on Sunday. Buffalo plays at Cleveland State (0-3) Saturday at 6 p.m.

Wrestling (5-10, 0-5 MAC)

The Bulls host the top-team in the MAC, Missouri (18-0, 6-0 MAC), at Alumni Arena Friday night looking for their first conference win. The meet is set for 7 p.m.

Softball

Coming off their best season in program history and first season under head coach Trena Peel, the Bulls begin their season this weekend with five games in Troy, Alabama for the Troy Chick-Fil-A Invite.

Football

The Bulls will announce their 2015 recruiting class on National Signing Day Wednesday. The team will host a special event at Santora’s Pizza Pub and Grill on Transit Road in Williamsville at 5:45 p.m. in which fans can meet new head coach Lance Leipold and his staff. Leipold will also discuss the upcoming class.

Men’s soccer

The Bulls will hold open tryouts on Tuesday Feb. 10 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. at the North Amherst Recreation Center. Interested athletes must be an undergraduate student, have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and show proof of a physical exam within the last six months.

There is also a mandatory meeting on Feb. 9 in Alumni Arena in the Bull Pen room from 4 to 5 p.m. Students must bring a tryout form with them. Head coach Stu Riddle said he is excited to “find a diamond in the rough.”

email: sports@ubspectrum.com