"Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination"

This Saturday, Jan. 30, the Connecticut Street Armory on Buffalo's
west side will open its doors to Buffalo's beer lovers
and at least 25 local craft breweries.
Courtesy of Flikr user sah1365
This Saturday, Jan. 30, the Connecticut Street Armory on Buffalo's west side will open its doors to Buffalo's beer lovers and at least 25 local craft breweries. Courtesy of Flikr user sah1365

Hopefully your first week doesn’t leave you feeling like you already need some serious me-time, but if you do, there’s enough going on in Buffalo this weekend to de-stress.

For the artsy type

Some nights you just need the revitalizing feeling you only get from looking at art. If you’re feeling that need, then make your way to 617 Main St. in Buffalo on Friday Jan. 30 to attend the four opening receptions at the Contemporary Photography and Visual Arts Gallery (CEPA). The receptions run from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. and the artists will be present.

Patti Ambrogi’s The Rebel Forest is a series of photographs surveying preserved land in Victor, NY and in Ontario, Canada.

Together We Are by Valerie Kasinski, a series of photographs exploring connections between the human body and the environment, is an on-going project now stretching across the country.

Lukia Costello took photographs in August 2014 documenting and memorializing those suffering from the Ukrainian-Russian conflict.

The 2015 CEPA members’ exhibition will also display work from talented artists in the Western New York region.

For the partier

Gather your 30 closest friends and head to Canalside for The Ice at Canalside – Buffalo’s newest winter outdoor attraction. For $8, you can spin around an ice rink larger than the one at Rockefeller Center in New York City. Skating times are from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday and 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $5 and skate rental is $3.

For the foodie

Only $35 for beer from 25 different breweries, sounds like a great deal.

On Saturday, Jan. 31 the Connecticut Street Armory on Buffalo’s west side will open its doors to Buffalo’s beer lovers. From regional favorites like Flying Bison Brewing Co. and Southern Tier Brewing Co., to lesser-known breweries like Beau’s Brewing Co. and Cortland Beer Co., you can taste all the flavors of New York’s craft brewing resurgence.

A ticket gains you entry for three hours – either the afternoon session from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. or the evening session from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. – a complimentary glass sampling glass and the beer samples. If you purchase at the door, then it’ll cost $45.

For the smarty pants

Friday is the opening night for the Poetics Plus readings. UB Poetics students will read works at Rust Belt Books’ new location at 415 Grant St., beginning at 8 p.m.

For the already-stressed-out

Breathe in, breathe out – the semester’s only just begun. But, if you’re already feeling like you’re drowning in schoolwork, take the evening to wander through the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens in South Park. This weekend it won’t be just plants on display – the Gardens will be lit up as part of the new Lumagination light display. Psychedelic lights will illuminate the Gardens’ diverse plant collection, from blue cacti to tye-dye orchids to a multi-colored waterfall.

Tickets are just $10 for students and the display is open from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday.