Rave on Buffalo

DJ Carnage brings a wild party to Town Ballroom

Carnage stood on stage and  mixed pop and dance tracks to a crowd of hundreds of costume-clad people at the
Town Ballroom on Tuesday night. Courtesy of Flickr user swimfinfan
Carnage stood on stage and  mixed pop and dance tracks to a crowd of hundreds of costume-clad people at the Town Ballroom on Tuesday night. Courtesy of Flickr user swimfinfan

It was dark outside, chilly and pouring rain. The sidewalks of Buffalo were almost completely empty – except in front of Town Ballroom.

Despite the weather, a long line of people stretched down Main Street. People were wearing everything from tutus to ski masks, mostly in bright pastel colors.

They were eagerly anticipating entrance into the Town Ballroom to see the DJ Carnage host the Carnage: Parental Advisory Tour Tuesday night. Carnage wasn’t alone. The night was filled with performances by three solo acts, including Carnage himself, and a set by Canadian duo Dzeko & Torres.

“I’m pumped up,” said Samantha Nabb, an 18-year-old from Lockport. “This is going to be a night for me to finally let loose.”

When the doors opened, audience members began trickling into the venue. The dimly lit main floor smelled of incense when the night’s first DJ began to play. DJ Junkie Kid set the pace for the evening, blending top-40 hits, hip-hop, trap and up-tempo dance music.

“To me it doesn’t really matter who's playing,” Nabb said. “As long as the music is good and loud I’ll have a good time.”

The show was sold out by the time Dzeko & Torres performed. Dzeko & Torres played more adrenaline-pumping club music and peppered their set with cool tricks, such as shooting smoke into the audience.

Dzeko & Torres and Junkie had short, concise half-hour sets, but the next DJ, Paris Blohm, changed that trend by playing for a full hour.

“All these sexy ladies make some noise right now,” Blohm said toward the beginning of his set. “We’re about to go crazy.”

Blohm played in front of a large display with his name in white neon letters on a purple backdrop. His set was notable for incorporating the most modern pop music, often bringing exhilarating results on the dance floor.

When he started playing Iggy Azealea’s “Fancy” during the middle of his set, the audience began screaming so loudly that it was heard out in the lobby.

When DJ Carnage’s ascended to the stage, people emptied out of the lobby and onto the dance floor.

“He’s definitely the reason I’m here,” said Tristan Jones, 21, from Elma. “When Carnage is on, I will rage hard. He’s the best of the best.”

Carnage had multiple turntables on stage, and was expertly switching in between beats. The crowd was visibly enjoying Carnage’s set, whether fans were dancing or just standing on the side in a trance.

“The best part about the rave culture is you can do whatever you want,” Nabb said. “Nobody is going to judge you.”

At one point, Carnage got nearly the entire audience to take their phones out and shine them up above their heads, so he could take a photo. Carnage later posted it to his Facebook.

DJ Carnage closed with an original song, “Bricks,” featuring hip-hop artist Migos.

It was one of the most distinct originals of the performance and was well received by the audience as many people rapped along to the track.

“I love Bricks,” Jones said. “That is probably the most classic Carnage track right there.”

As the concert ended, the eccentrically dressed crowd exited back out into the pouring rain on Main Street – a stark change from the upbeat raved.