Do or die: Buffalo Bulls prepare for Ohio

Bulls take on Ohio needing four straight wins to keep bowl eligibility alive

Ohio junior running back Daz’mond Patterson
is second on Bobcats with 340 rushing yards this season.
The Bulls face Ohio on the road Wednesday night.
Courtesy of Calvin Matthews
Ohio junior running back Daz’mond Patterson is second on Bobcats with 340 rushing yards this season. The Bulls face Ohio on the road Wednesday night. Courtesy of Calvin Matthews

The Buffalo football team’s chances of making a bowl game for the second consecutive season seem to be fleeting at best.

The Bulls endured the firing of their head coach three weeks ago, are second last in the Mid-American Conference East and have lost three straight games. They need to win their last four games to even be bowl eligible.

But the team claims its not treating its last four games as a walkthrough.

“Don’t ever sell us out or what we do in our profession ... We would never quit,” said interim head coach Alex Wood. “There’s a flaw in your character when you think in those terms. I don’t care how many games we have left.”

The Bulls (3-5, 1-3 MAC) face a ‘do-or-die’ situation Wednesday, when they travel to Ohio (4-5, 2-3 MAC) to take on the Bobcats. Teams must have six wins to remain bowl eligible, but Buffalo needs seven wins because two of its wins are against Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) teams. Only one win against FCS teams count toward bowl eligibility.

Buffalo will need one of its best players, junior running back Anthone Taylor, to return to form in order to keep its bowl hopes alive. Taylor is coming off of his lowest rushing performance of the season, running for just 25 yards against Central Michigan (6-4, 4-2 MAC) Oct. 27 after four straight 100-yard rushing games.

“We didn’t run the ball effectively last game,” said junior wide receiver Ron Willoughby. “That’s going to affect the passing game. It’s not going to open it up as much. We just need to get back to our bread and butter and get back to running the ball.”

Willoughby has become junior quarterback Joe Licata’s favorite target. He leads all Buffalo receivers with 36 receptions, 549 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

Licata is coming off a 233-yard performance in which he threw two touchdowns and two interceptions and was sacked twice. He is just one touchdown pass away from tying former Bull Drew Willy’s record (52) for the most career touchdown passes in program history.

But Ohio linebackers Quentin Poling and Jovon Johnson will prevent a challenge for Buffalo’s offense.

In nine games, Poling and Johnson have combined for 116 tackles, 14.5 tackles for losses, six sacks, four interceptions and a forced and recovered fumble.

On the opposite side of the ball, Buffalo must game plan for Ohio junior quarterback Derrius Vick. After sitting out the previous four games with a knee injury, Vick replaces sophomore quarterback JD Sprague.

Vick has played more efficiently than Sprague, completing 60.4 percent of his passes compared to Sprague’s 48.2 completion percentage. Both Vick and Sprague present a threat to run, combining for 450 rushing yards and three touchdowns. Buffalo allowed Eastern Michigan quarterback Reggie Bell to run for 202 yards and three touchdowns Oct. 11.

Buffalo senior safety Adam Redden, who is coming off a MAC East Division Defensive Player of the Week award, will be key to stopping Vick. Redden leads the team with 41 solo tackles, 12 tackles for losses, five sacks and three forced fumbles.

Buffalo’s biggest challenge will be going on the road against an Ohio team that’s 3-1 at home, according to Wood.

“[Sprague and Vick] both equally can throw the ball well. The numbers speak for themselves,” Wood said. “Our biggest concern really ... [Ohio] plays different at home – they’re a different football team. They’re a lot better, they play much more inspired.”

Buffalo is 0-3 and allowing 40 points per game on the road this season.

The game is set for 8 p.m. Wednesday and will be featured on ESPNU. Willoughby says the team is ready for the spotlight.

“Everybody wants to play on ESPN and everybody wants to play in the bright lights and the big moments,” he said. “That’s when you see who the best players are and who the best teams are.”

Buffalo at Ohio (-3.0): Staff predictions

Owen O’Brien, Managing Editor

@owenobri (6-2): Ohio

I can’t expect this secondary to hold anybody on the road. This will be a typical MAC shootout. One thing’s for sure – take the over on 55.5 points.

Tom Dinki, Senior Sports Editor

@tomdinki (7-1): Ohio

Ohio is less talented, but so was Eastern Michigan. Buffalo just doesn't play well on the road. The end of this season might be very rough.

Andy Koniuch, Sports Editor

@andykoniuch (6-2): Buffalo

I'm feeling a big game for Licata. He’s one touchdown away from the program record. The Bulls will rally behind him.

Jordan Grossman, Asst. Sports Editor

@jordangrossman (6-2): Ohio

The Bulls had one of their best defensive outings last week and still lost by six. Why would it be any different on the road where Buffalo has not won all year?