And the next Buffalo football coach will be...

Clear eyes, full hearts'

It’s been more than 45 days since Buffalo fired Jeff Quinn and now that the season’s officially over, I wouldn’t be surprised if Athletic Director Danny White already has his next coach all but signed. Sorry, Mr. White, I have you beat. I know who the next head coach should be.

Former Buffalo tight end Alex Dennison said White will be “looking to make a splash” with whoever he hires as football coach.

And judging from White’s first seven hires, Dennison is 100 percent correct.

White has been undertaking a “national search” for his next football coach. But there’s one candidate whose resume stands miles ahead of any other ball coach in the country.

White’s previous hires, such as men’s basketball coach Bobby Hurley and softball coach Trena Peel were some of the most dominate college athletes in the history of their sport. Other coaches, such as women’s basketball head coach Felisha Legette-Jack and volleyball coach Reed Sunahara had tremendous success at other schools before arriving at UB.

White looks for coaches who are passionate, enthusiastic and proven as either a player or coach. He wants coaches who can bring a “big-time” attitude and presence to the State University of New York at Buffalo.

Call off the national search and toss the commission my way, Mr. White. I’ve found your next “big-time” head coach.

Coach Eric Taylor.

Taylor has coached under the brightest lights in the biggest state in the continental United States – Texas. His tenure may have been short – about five years – but when you look at what he accomplished in his limited opportunity, you can’t argue with the results. And it wouldn’t be White’s first hire of someone with little experience.

What’s more “big-time” than high school football in Texas?

The Bulls have struggled in close games, going 5-10 in one-score games since 2010 – including 1-6 in these games on the road. Although I can’t put an exact number on Taylor’s record in close games, it seems like every game ends with his team scoring in the final seconds.

This is a results based industry, right? Taylor knows how to close games.

White wants a coach who can win right away. In Taylor’s first season at Dillon High, he delivered a Texas State Championship. Even after his quarterback suffered a life-altering injury in the first game of the season, the Panthers rallied around Taylor to win a title.

But Taylor’s had his share of adversity. Despite a 25-5 record at Dillon High School and two trips to a State Championship game, his contract wasn’t renewed. He was forced to coach at Dillon’s sister school – East Dillon High.

Dillon East was new, and regarded as a much worse school that Dillon High. Taylor was tasked with the challenge of rebuilding a program. (You starting to see where I’m going with this?)

Well, the Lions struggled at the start. But Taylor kept working. And in just their second season, the Lions won a State Championships.

In just two years, he won a title in two seasons at a school that previously didn’t even exist. Buffalo’s football program has struggled, but at least it has some form of groundwork. Imagine what Taylor could do at UB?

Taylor knows about courting donors. At both Dillon and East Dillon, this skill was vital. The same goes for college athletics. White and Quinn landed million-dollar donations together. White and Taylor can do the same.

Taylor’s always ready for a challenge. He proved so when he accepted the East Dillon job in 2009. I don’t really know what he’s been doing the past few years, but I haven’t heard much about him since 2010, so I feel like he’d be more than willing to take over New York’s flagship university.

He has a “big-time” resume.

Start your research with his Wikipedia page, Mr. White. I think you will be very impressed.

“Clear eyes, full hearts,” Mr. White. This sounds more appealing than a four-letter hashtag to me.

Can’t lose.

*This column is satire and should be taken as such. Just like I wouldn't want Hugh Laurie (Dr. House) leading a hospital, it wouldn't make sense for Kyle Chandler (Eric Taylor, "Friday Night Lights"), to lead a football team.

email: owen.obrien@ubspectrum.com