The Spectrum's Top 5: What you missed this week

The Spectrum's top stories this week provide a spotlight on losses, innovators and important decisions

This week UB announced that plans to purchase McCarley Gardens, a low-income housing complex, have been ceased. The neighborhood was worried about the prospect of being relocated if UB bought the area. The neighborhood is located immediately south of the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus. Jackie Shi, The Spectrum

There was a lot of activity at UB this week. UB officials announced that plans to purchase McCarley Gardens have been ceased. On the gridiron, the Bulls lost 36-35 against Bowling Green Saturday. But some students showcased positive contributions outside of the classroom like senior David Harary, who started a new and innovative program to bring student’s ideas together, and other UB students stepped outside the lab to perform science in the real world. Buffalo students also voted to raise the mandatory student activity fee to $104.75.

1. On Thursday Sept. 25, UB officials announced they are no longer planning on purchasing McCarley Gardens, a low-income housing complex in downtown Buffalo that is full of long-time residents. Residents are happy to know that they can remain apart of the community they have lived for years. UB never revealed why it wanted to initially buy the property. McCarley Gardens is located next to the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus in downtown Buffalo.

2. David Harary, a senior economics, geography and international trade major, created a student-run think center at UB. The group is the second student-run think tank in the country and Harary thinks it could be the second one in the world. Harary wants students to share ideas and be able to have an easier time with the research process. Students will be able to publish their papers on a range of subjects with the intent of helping other researchers. Harrary’s hope is that more students will get involved and the group will empower students to share their views.

3. The Bulls lost 36-35 in their second road game of the season against Bowling Green Saturday. The contest was close throughout with both teams holding the lead throughout the game. The Bulls led 28-20 after the first half, but struggled in the second half. After this loss, the Bulls hope to take this loss as an experience to build from in future games.

4. UB students voted to raise the mandatory activity fee by $10 to $104.75 at the referendum held from Sept. 24 to 26. Less than than 1,000 students voted, but 632 people voted “yes” to the raised fee. The student activity fee helps pay for Student Association (SA) events like Fall Fest and the Distinguished Speaker Series. The increase will allow SA to increase the quality of the events and help SA grow, according to SA President James Ingram. Students will begin paying the new fee in fall 2015.

5. Citizen Science Community Resources and UB students gathered together to help solve the pollution problem in Tonawanda. The project began in 2004, when citizens of Tonawanda started taking air samples to find out what caused a weird stench in the air. High levels of Benzene, a colorless and flammable liquid, were found in the air. The project was a success, according to the club. CSCR is urging anyone who is interested to apply to the program. The program gives students the ability to work outside of a laboratory setting and become apart of the community.