Buffalo looks to rebound against Eagles after one-point loss last week

Bulls go on the road against Eastern Michigan this week

The Bulls defense forces a fumble on Eastern Michigan in the their 42-14 victory over the Eagles on Oct. 5 2013 in UB Stadium. Buffalo faces the Eagles Saturday in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum

Anthone Taylor ran for 219 yards last Saturday against Bowling Green. But the junior running back is haunted about the yard he didn’t gain.

Taylor was stopped for no gain on a third-and-1 with the Buffalo football team leading 35-30 in fourth quarter. The Bulls settled for a 33-yard field goal attempt, which the senior kicker Patrick Clarke missed wide right. Buffalo went on to lose 36-35.

“To this day, I still have nightmares about it,” Taylor said. “I just wish I could have gave it a little more push forward or something … I feel like if we had got a little closer, Pat would have been more comfortable with the filed goal and it would have been a different result in the game.”

The Bulls (3-3, 1-1 Mid-American Conference) go on the road for the second straight game after falling to reigning MAC champion Bowling Green (4-2, 2-0 MAC) last weekend. Buffalo faces Eastern Michigan (1-4, 0-1 MAC) in Ypsilanti, Michigan Saturday.

Taylor became the first player in UB history to record more than 200 yards in two consecutive games, a feat that UB’s all-time rushing leader, Branden Oliver, did not even accomplish.

Oliver had 182 total yards for the San Diego Chargers Sunday. Oliver’s work ethic at UB inspired his friend and successor, Taylor.

“I try to be a leader on the field and I feel like you lead by your actions,” Taylor said. “Bo always led by his actions on and off the field. He set such a tremendous example and I want to be the guy that not only did the same thing as him but did it better. Bo tells me, ‘Don’t try to be like me, try to be better than me.’”

Taylor looks continue his strong play against the worst rush defense in the MAC. The Eagles have allowed 1,166 rushing yards in their first five games – an average of 233 yards a game. They have also surrendered an average of 276 passing yards per game.

First-year head coach Chris Creighton, who was head coach of Football Championship Sub Division (FCS) team Drake last season, leads the Eagles. Eastern Michigan fired previous head coach Ron English on Nov. 8, 2013 – less than 24 hours before the team’s game against Western Michigan.

English was fired after university officials obtained a tape of the coach’s tirade during a team meeting in which he used a homophobic slur.

Eastern Michigan hasn’t won a game since its season-opening 31-28 victory over FCS Morgan State (3-3, 2-1 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference). The Eagles have been outscored 186-23 in their four-game losing streak.

Senior quarterback Rob Bolden is in his first season with Eastern Michigan after not playing in a game since 2011. Bolden started several games for Penn State during his freshman and sophomore seasons before transferring to LSU in 2012. He redshirted for the Tigers in his first year and did see any game action in 2013.

He’s thrown for just 320 yards and three touchdowns in four appearances this season, but the versatile quarterback poses a threat when he’s out of the pocket.

“[Bolden’s] very athletic, we know we’re going to have our work cut out to be able to contain him,” said head coach Jeff Quinn. “[Eastern Michigan] competes hard, they’re aggressive and they’ll pressure us. We need to be disciplined.”

Seniors Tyreese Russell and Tyler Allen are the only Eagles’ receivers with more than 100 receiving yards and a touchdown this season. Buffalo intercepted its first pass of the season last week against Bowling Green, courtesy of sophomore cornerback Boise Ross, who started the season as a wide receiver.

Buffalo’s defense allowed 321 passing yards and 134 yards on the ground to the Falcons last Saturday.

Eastern Michigan has three running backs that have rushed for more than 100 yards this season. Senior Bronson Hill leads the group with 233 yards.

“Everyone has their flavor or way to structurally attack a team’s defense,” Quinn said. “[Eastern Michigan] is another one that wants great balance. From a defenses’ standpoint, it’s an important week to really step up and make a statement that we can play defense.”

The Eagles have only six sacks this season. Junior defensive lineman Pat O’Connor has 4.5 of them. Eastern Michigan has only created four turnovers this season. Buffalo has forced eight takeaways, seven of which were fumble recoveries.

Taylor can capture his third consecutive 200-yard rushing game Saturday against the Eagles’ defense, but he said all he cares about is a Buffalo victory.

“If I rush for 50 yards and I pick up every blitz they throw at us and I protect the quarterback and we win, I feel successful,” Taylor said. “It doesn’t matter if I rush for 200 yards or 10 yards. As long as we get ‘W’ and I get job done, I feel successful at the end of the day.”

This is Buffalo’s last game before its bye week. Kickoff is scheduled for Saturday at 1 p.m. The game will be featured on ESPN3.

Buffalo at Eastern Michigan (+14): Staff predictions

Owen O’Brien, Managing Editor

@owenobri (5-1): Eastern Michigan

14 points is a lot to give on the road – especially with a ‘D’ that hasn’t proved capable of stopping a D-I offense. The Bulls should win, but not by three scores.

Tom Dinki, Senior Sports Editor

@tomdinki (6-0): Eastern Michigan

Buffalo didn’t win by 14 at UB Stadium against FCS Duquesne and Miami Ohio – a team on a 21-game losing streak. No way Buffalo wins by 14 on the road.

Andy Koniuch, Sports Editor

@andykoniuch (5-1): Buffalo

If Buffalo doesn’t win by more than 14, the team is in trouble. The Bulls are going to dominate the 1-5 Eagles

Jordan Grossman, Asst. Sports Editor

@jordangrossman (6-0): Buffalo

I’m usually adamant against taking the road team, but Taylor’s current hot-streak convinced me. A big day is coming from the Buffalo run game.