Around Town: Something for everyone

Feeling that midterm pressure? Take the weekend off

You can catch a screening of Ghostbusters at North Park Theatre on Hertel Ave. in Buffalo on Saturday and Sunday at 11:30 a.m. as part of your Halloween celebration. Courtesy of Flickr user Joseph A

One of the advantages of living in a major city like Buffalo is that there in no shortage of things to do, as long as you know where to look. The Spectrum staff shares some things it believes to be the best events in Buffalo this weekend.

For the athletic type:

The women’s soccer team and its No. 1 seed begin the MAC Tournament at 1 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 2 at UB Stadium. The game is free for students with a valid UB ID.

This weekend is the opening of the HarborCenter – a much-awaited project that has changed the Buffalo skyline – in downtown Buffalo. Terry and Kim Pegula, owners of the Buffalo Bills and the Buffalo Sabres, own the HarborCenter.

This weekend’s game at the HarborCenter include:

Friday, Oct. 31: Youth hockey tournaments begin at 8 a.m. and Canisius College vs. Ohio State at 7:35 p.m.

Saturday, Nov. 1: Canisius College vs. Ohio State at 7:35 p.m.

Sunday, Nov. 2: Erie Community College vs. Rochester Institute of Technology at 6:15 p.m.

For the partier:

Saturday November 1: The Great Ghost Toast in Buffalo. A self-guided tour of 10 East Aurora “haunted pubs” filled with supernatural storytelling, folklore and other Halloween themed events. The event costs $30 and includes a T-shirt, special deals and snacks. Registration is at The Cornell Cooperative Building, 21 South Grove Street, in East Aurora.

For the artsy type:

Friday, Oct. 31, Saturday, Nov. 1 and Sunday, Nov. 2: ART=Text=Art, Private Languages/Public Systems at UB’s Anderson Gallery on South Campus. The show displays visual arts in post-war American and the emergence of concrete poetry.

Friday Oct, 31: The North Park Theatre presents Zombie Night, which includes the world premiere of “Within,” a local produced thriller with Zombies. The film has been worked on for three years. Tickets are $12 online, $15 at the door and there will be prizes for the best costumes. North Park Theatre is located at 1428 Hertel Ave. in Buffalo.

Saturday, Nov. 1: Meet and greet with designers Katie Gariepy and Tamora Lee at Shopaholic Fashionista Boutique at 452 Elmwood Ave., Buffalo, from 4 to 7 p.m. Gariepy is a clothing designer and Lee is a jewelry designer.

For the intellectual

The Frank Lloyd Wright at The Martin House Complex will be hosting a class on the art and history of Japanese block printing. Materials are provided and a tour of the Martin House in included. The printing class and tour cost $50 for nonmembers and $40 for members.