"Around Town: Head to Allentown, the Albright-Knox Gallery or Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum"

Make the most of your free time as exams loom

The Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum at 220 North St. is currently hosting an exhibit on early baseball history with materials dating back to the 19th century. The two Karpeles Museums in Buffalo are within walking distance from each other and free to the public Tuesdays through Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Courtesy of Nathan Johnson

Essays and exams are among us, my friends. That means we all should be studying more than we’d like and not just having fun. So, you’ve got to step up your time management game – that means planning only the best activities for your few hours off.

To decompress from studying, take time to ignore your cellphone and get out with close friends. You deserve it.

This weekend, there are some mentally stimulating, yet relaxing, activities around the city that’ll keep you sharp but also will allow you to chill out before heading back to class on Monday.

You will surely be entertained, outraged and baffled by a graffiti reading at the Dress Shop on Allen Street on Friday night at 7 p.m. Four readers will give a dramatic presentation of the life lessons that cover the walls in the ladies room at Nietzsche’s, a bar just a few blocks away from the Dress Shop. After the reading, grab a beer and witness the existential thoughts of Allentowners during a drunken night of revelry for yourself.

In case you’ve forgotten about the free Fridays in Buffalo, just a little reminder: This Friday is the first Friday of the month. This means the Albright-Knox and Art Gallery galleries throughout Allentown are free for the evening. Albright-Knox Gallery will be open to the public until 10 p.m. and will be free for the evening.

If you’re feeling some serious withdrawal after Jeter’s final game, Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum at 220 North St. is currently housing the exhibit “Very Early Baseball History.” The exhibit dates back to the late 19th century – the first baseball game was played on June 19, 1846 in Hoboken, New Jersey – when teams formally invited other teams to play them. The Cincinnati Red Stockings were considered the first professional baseball team in 1869 and used scorecards for the first time to record the outcome of the game.

There are two Karpeles Manuscript Library Museums in Buffalo, one at 220 North St. and the other at 453 Porter Ave. The Museums are only a 5-10 minute walk from each other down North Street (Porter turns into North Street at Symphony Circle). Both museums are free and open Tuesdays through Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and let you wander through history as told by letters, manuscripts, maps and contracts.

The Buffalo International Film Festival is in its eighth year and runs from Thursday Oct. 9 to Sunday Oct. 11. The Festival will be held at two locations: Casa de Arte on Elmwood Avenue and The Screening Room in Amherst. On Friday, Oct. 10, Casa de Arte will be showing ‘Homage to Jorge Negrete’: Historia de un Gran Amor, a Mexican film with English subtitles. The Screening Room will also show films from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. with a reception and question-and-answer session following the final film of the night, Give & Take.

email: features@ubspectrum.com