"Around Town: National Buffalo Wing Festival, Canalside and kayaking in the Buffalo Harbor"

Feel like fall is here a bit too early? Get out in the Buffalo sunshine this Labor Day weekend

I feel like I’ve done it all, and maybe I have, but it really never gets old. I’m a lifetime Buffalonian, currently residing just steps outside of historic Allentown. I’m constantly on the hunt for new places to explore, new restaurants to try and new micro-brews to drink. Although I’ve had so many perfect Buffalo days filled with all the parks, cafés, bookshops and benches that I love, you might be wondering what this city could possibly offer.

To help you out, throughout the semester I’ll keep you up to date on interesting things to do on the weekend so you can create your own perfect Buffalo day.

Although UB would like us to think summer ends on Aug. 25, when we are forced ‘back to the grind’ of books, lectures and afternoon naps, we still have almost a month until the autumnal equinox on Sept. 23. With a three-day long Labor Day weekend you have more than enough time to get some sun and up your Vitamin D levels to survive the inevitable polar vortex this winter.

Chicken, hot sauce and celery sticks – Buffalo style. This weekend is the National Buffalo Wing Festival held at Coca-Cola Field. For foodies, this is the festival. You can sample wings from over 20 restaurants including the essentials – Duff’s and the Anchor Bar – according to buffalowing.com. If you still call them ‘Buffalo wings’ than you’ve got to taste some real wings. If you’ve never had wings and want to know what the hype over them is all about than you pretty much have to go.

If you just can’t let go of the beach quite yet, then you may be saddened to find out that Buffalo really doesn’t have many spectacular beaches. Instead, we take advantage of our waterfront a little differently. From Times Beach Nature Preserve to Gallagher Pier, the outer harbor has recently undergone a major facelift. With bike paths, walking baths and the adorable Wilkeson’s Point, you can spend at least half a day close to the water.

Whether you’re new to Buffalo or a lifetime Buffalonian, the newest way to see the city is by renting a paddleboard, kayak or stand-up paddleboard from BFLO Harbor Kayak and meander down the Buffalo River. Open from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. every day, BFLO Harbor Kayak is located at 1 Naval Park Cove at Canalside.

You can explore the waterfront meditatively alone or with friends for $15 per hour for a single paddleboard or stand-up paddleboard and $30 for two single kayaks or a tandem kayak, according to the company’s website. The recent development of Canalside has transformed Buffalo’s waterfront into a venue for concerts and markets as well as being home to outdoor bar The Liberty Hound and the Naval Park. Whether or not you venture into the water, make sure you stop at Canalside before the cold weather hits.

Even though this is the first week of classes, we have more homework than we’d like. To get a good start to the semester, explore some outdoor café patios and spend the day studying in the sunshine. There are a surprising number of outdoor cafés, juice bars, bars and restaurants throughout the city. From the ever-popular and hip Spot Coffee, to the delicious dark roast of Coffee Culture, to la vie boheme of Café 59 on Allen St., there’s a café perfect for you.

Whether you’re a freshmen or a senior, Buffalo is a new city every day.

Remember, Buffalo is the second-largest city in New York. It’s old, historic and magnificent.

You just have to find it.

email: emma.janicki@ubspectrum.com