News Briefs

Three injured in Tonawanda Coke explosion last month

On Wednesday, Tonawanda Coke issued a statement stating three workers were injured in the explosion on Jan. 31. The factory originally stated there were no injuries.

A buildup of gas caused a coke oven in the factory to burst. The company has categorized the explosion as "minor," but the Department of Environmental Conservation called it "significant," according to The Buffalo News.

The statement said a full-time worker was blown to the ground but did not need medical treatment. One other full-time worker suffered dust inhalation and a possible first-degree burn on his face; he returned to work the same day after treatment. A full-time temporary worker's face and eyes were covered in dust, and he was sent to an off-site medical facility; he returned to work on Feb. 3.

Moisture in extremely cold temperatures can lead to frozen lines and blockages, which was presumed to be the cause of the explosion. Plant operators did not notice moisture in the air dryer system during a routine checklist monitoring, according to the report.

Tonawanda Coke has a history of violations, and federal officials for environmental and public health violations continue to look into the company.

Health report details Affordable Care Act enrollment

Twenty seven percent of the people who enrolled in the Affordable Care Act during its first four months were between the ages 18 to 34, according to a new Department of Health and Human Services report. The number of young adults who signed up for the coverage rose three points in the fourth month of the law's implementation.

To date, nearly 3.3 million Americans have signed up for the coverage that went into effect on Oct. 1 last year, according to an NPR health report. Of the numbers, however, the strongest growth has been shown in young people, with a 65 percent increase, and women, accounting for 55 percent of the enrollees. Data found the majority of those buying insurance are buying the "silver" plans, which are ranked third in the optional plans; 62 percent of Americans have chosen this coverage plan.

Skeptics still remain hesitant of the healthcare numbers. Some question how many people are actually getting healthcare for the first time with the law, and how many premiums are being paid, according to NPR. But based on a Gallup poll released Feb. 12, the number of uninsured Americans decreased from 17 percent to 16 percent in 2014, with the amount of insured young people - 26 to 34 year olds - rising.

The enrollment period is set to end on March 31.

Global defense spending expected to increase this year

An annual defense budget review by IHS Jane's predicts defense and military spending will increase in 2014.

The organization said spending had decreased in recent years, but this year, it is scheduled to go up from $1.538 trillion to $1.547 trillion.

The 10 countries with the highest defense budget are as follows:

1. United States: $600.4 billion

2. China: $112.2 billion

3. Russia: $68.2 billion

4. Saudi Arabia: $59.6 billion

5. Great Britain: $57 billion

6. France: $52.4 billion

7. Japan: $51 billion

8. Germany: $44.2 billion

9. India: $36.3 billion

10. Brazil: $34.7 billion