Wild for the Night

A$AP Rocky, A$AP Ferg to headline Fall Fest

After much speculation and anticipation from UB students, the Student Association announced the Fall Fest 2013 lineup Thursday afternoon.

If weather permits, Super Mash Bros will open for Ace Hood, A$AP Ferg and A$AP Rocky at Baird Point on UB's North Campus on Sunday, Oct. 13.

Doors will open at 5 p.m. and the concert will begin at 6 p.m.

SA Vice President Lyle Selsky said he and other SA members are very excited for the show.

"Everybody can wake up in a new Bugatti," Selsky said, drawing inspiration from his favorite Ace Hood song, "Bugatti."

The price for the show was under budget, according to SA. The organization spent approximately $159,000 of its $390,000 annual concert budget. At the time of reporting, they had no set figures on the cost of production, which is paid for by a separate budget.

In the weeks leading up to the announcement, rumors that A$AP Rocky would perform were circulating around campus, but many student grew restless with anticipation for an official announcement.

A fake Fall Fest poster - promoting Drake, A$AP Rocky and Big Sean as headliners - prompted more rumors and discussion, pressuring SA to release an impressive lineup quickly.

"I'm an A$AP fan, so I'm excited for that," said freshman business major Ike Shammah. "I'm bummed out that Drake and Big Sean won't be there, but we'll make the best of it."

In the past, SA has been criticized for bringing rap-heavy shows like this one to UB. It has made efforts to please a wider audience in recent years with extra shows, other than the two main festivals, which appeal to alternative styles of music. Already this fall, SA brought Reel Big Fish to UB to please fans of ska music.

"We might be looking to do another small concert in the future," Selsky said. "We think we got a great show under budget and we're very excited for that."

Selsky went on to say that not everyone will be satisfied with every SA concert. He added that SA does its best to bring diverse acts with multiple concerts throughout the year. Selsky encouraged students to go to the show regardless of their musical taste for the hype and atmosphere of these particular acts.

"It's not better than the lineups we've had in the last two years," said sophomore intended exercise science major Youl Lee. "I like A$AP Rocky, but Ace Hood, A$AP Ferg and Super Mash Bros aren't that big. We've had big names in the past and these guys are just rising stars."

SA added that its shows, including this one, often get scheduled on Sundays to afford student workers a weekend day to prepare. SA also encourages students to arrive early to avoid being locked out of the show if it is held indoors and capacity is reached.

SA has secured two other potential locations for the show if bad weather puts a damper on a Baird Point production. Baird Point is an ideal outdoor location with a capacity of 14,000, according to SA. The Lake LaSalle parking lot, with a capacity of 9,000, is reserved if rain prevents stage construction on Baird Point in the days leading up to the show. If the forecast for the day of the show calls for rain or stormy weather, the show will be held in UB's largest indoor event venue, Alumni Arena, which houses up to 6,500 people for a show.