Not just another teen pop sensation: Yours Truly CD review

Album: Yours Truly

Artist: Ariana Grande

Label: Republic

Release: Sept. 3

Grade: A

Ariana Grande has been called the next Mariah Carey, a feat of which she is proud.

The 20-year-old Nickelodeon actress who also sings has become a worldwide phenomenon with the release of her first album Yours Truly on Sept. 3.

The album was set to drop earlier in the summer but the young artist held it, keeping millions of fans on their toes. Grande is known for portraying ditzy characters on the Nickelodeon show Victorious and the spin-off Sam & Cat.

When she sings, the airhead reputation is immediately forgotten.

Though many would expect a bubbly pop sound from the young artist, Grande's vocals have a soulful R&B approach reminiscent of strong female artists from the early '90s such as Mary J. Blige or Janet Jackson.

Grande's vocals have been compared to the likes of Mariah Carey and Ashanti. She has collaborated with multiple rap artists for this album including Mac Miller and Big Sean in an effort to expand her diversity and vocal abilities. And it worked.

One of the singles from the album, "The Way," featuring Mac Miller, was released March 26 and quickly rose to the Top 10 Songs on iTunes seven hours after it dropped. The hit later made its way to the top 10 on the U.S. BillboardHot 100 chart.

Grande helped write over half the songs on the album, and she makes that clear with her passionate vocals. Other writing contributions come from singer-songwriter Jordin Sparks and Sevyn Streeter.

"Almost is Never Enough" is a ballad with Nathan Skyes, the lead singer of The Wanted. The way the two voices twist together creates a classic and flawless duet - something the radio has been lacking lately. The track is similar to the crooning of singers like Whitney Houston or the quiet beauty of Phil Collins. The ballad is featured in the film Mortal Instruments, which was released on Aug. 12.

Grande's second single, "Baby I," was released July 22 and has since reached number 21 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. Both of the successful singles brewed excitement in Grande's fans and had them anticipating the album drop.

They weren't disappointed.

The album, as a whole, has much diversity to it - from soft, slow ballads to upbeat-pop songs you'll find yourself singing along to.

Most listeners should be delightfully surprised. Though she may seem like just another actress turned singer, Grande's unique sound and powerhouse voice makes her stand out in the crowd of young adult artists.