Sexcapades

UB students recount their public sexual adventures

Robert Allen*, a senior nursing major, lost his virginity when he was 19 years old. Now 21, Allen has participated in two orgies with two different groups of people. He considers himself a "kind of boring guy."

Allen is not the only UB student who has ventured outside the bedroom to fulfill his carnal desires. Students are using all types of hidden areas around campus to hook up, privately or publicly. According to a survey conducted by The Spectrum, 40 percent of students have had sex in a public place (804 students were surveyed).

The kitchen in Governor's, NSC 225 lecture hall, Knox 20, multiple Ellicott lounges and Baird Point - these are all places that Allen has hooked up.

His first multiple-partner experience began at last year's International Fiesta, moved to Governor's, shifted to Clement and ended on Grover Cleveland Golf Course across the street from South Campus. With his then-girlfriend, a mutual friend and their mutual friend's girlfriend, Allen fooled around "in an entire sequence of f***ing everywhere," on both North and South Campus.

But Allen wasn't a stranger to hooking up in public places.

"If you go in the [Student Union] Flag Room from the side of Pistachio's and you make a right, there's a little crevice," Allen said. "So [my girlfriend and I] grabbed a couch and pushed it in there at 8 p.m. on a Friday night."

There were people walking around, but Allen and his girlfriend "went at it." The experience was interesting and exciting, according to Allen.

Like Allen, Janelle Baldwin*, a senior UB student who wished to keep her major anonymous, isn't a stranger to public sex. It started when Baldwin began a sexual relationship with her TA for gross anatomy - an affair that lasted around five months.

Her TA invited her over to "study," but Baldwin knew the two were just going to "hook up." Baldwin came up with questions to ask during the study session, but after five minutes of studying, "one thing led to another," she said.

Baldwin had sex with her TA in between bookshelves in the Health Sciences Library on the third floor. Students were on the floor but they were on the other side of the building.

The affair ended after Baldwin found out her TA had a girlfriend of three years - something he failed to mention during their relationship. The two last communicated when Baldwin, after seeing her TA's notes lying around the printing lab, "felt like tampering with [them]."

"[I thought to myself], it would be awesome if I just f***ing drew penises all over his notes," Baldwin said. "So I took it upon myself to take them and draw giant penises on every single one of his notes, every page."

While these public sexual encounters have involved a rush of euphoria, Baldwin and Allen have both had to deal with the consequences in similar situations that have gone astray.

During the summer, Allen was with four of his floor mates - three male and one female. A night out turned into his second orgy experience.

After the topic of masturbation came up, the girl revealed she masturbates. The guys asked her if she was open to pleasuring herself in front of them - she said sure.

When the group of five returned to the dorms, she grabbed her "decently sized pink" dildo, pulled her pants down and hopped into bed, Allen said.

The night continued with fellatio and sex between the girl and two of the guys. Allen did not participate. Things took a turn, however, when Allen left the room.

"I went into my room and I just hear s**t being thrown," Allen said. "[I see] that the dudes are in the hallway and they're running out of the room ... boxers up [and] pants half down ... They just said, 'she's freaking out, she's freaking out'... [One kid] tried to put it in her butt and that's where the line was drawn."

Once, at 3 a.m., Allen was masturbating alone in his room. He accidently left his door ajar.

He only noticed his mistake after a police officer walked into his room, completely unannounced.

"I was like, 'really?' And he's just standing there with another guy. It was two cops; it was really awkward for everyone involved," Allen said.

According to The Spectrum survey, notable places students have had sexual encounters include: the pool in Alumni Arena, the Center For the Arts and "Stoner Island" near Ellicott Complex. Whether it's in the library, in The Commons or just in the dorms, sexual adventures happen all over UB's campus.

*Names have been changed to protect source identity.