Bulls stay perfect

Women's tennis moves to 4-0 after win against ASA College

It was a parade of big shots, missed opportunities and forfeits when the women's tennis team took to the court against ASA College. But it was the Bulls' opponents who made the mistakes as Buffalo kept its undefeated start intact.

The Bulls (4-0) played host to ASA College (0-1) on Saturday at the Miller Tennis Center and took the match by a final score of 6-1.

"It was a good win," said head coach Kristen Ortman. "Sometimes it's difficult playing a team like this that's a little erratic and comes out banging, hits big shots, then misses a few. It's tough to get a rhythm. But the girls did a good job on focusing on what was controllable."

In first doubles, juniors Miranda Podlas and Tanvi Shah topped their opponents, 8-2.

It was a similar scene in second doubles. Sophomore Laura Fernandez and junior Marta Stoyanova took their doubles match 8-2.

The Avengers were forced to forfeit the third doubles match as they played shorthanded all day. The forfeit gave senior Tamara Markovic and junior Anamaria Candanoza credit for the win.

Podlas continued to cruise in her singles match, coasting past Tamar Tshaskaia, 6-1, 6-0, and picking up her second victory of the day.

"[Podlas] is a joy to work with," Ortman said. "Phenomenal athlete, always willing to do a little above and beyond to get better and take the next step, and it's really showing on the court. She has really improved and she's just a joy to work with. She's easy to coach and she's just like a sponge."

The Bulls only lost one match in singles play. ASA College's Dayana Agasieva defeated Shah, 2-6, 7-5, 13-11, as the match took a long third set tiebreak to be decided.

In third singles, Fernandez jumped on the winning wagon and rolled past her opponent, 6-1, 6-3.

The Bulls picked up wins in the final three singles matches of the day. Markovic and freshman Gopika Kapoor won both their matches, 6-1, 6-0, and 6-1, 6-1, respectively. Kapoor's match was her first of the spring season.

Stoyanova was credited with a win in her singles match on another ASA College forfeit.

Ortman believes her team is playing confident tennis even though the Bulls have only one senior on their roster. She believes composure has gotten the team to the heights it has reached this season.

"You've got to focus on the task at hand," Ortman said. "They're undefeated and they're confident. They believe in their game and they believe in themselves."

At 4-0, the Bulls look to next weekend as a pivotal point in their non-conference season schedule.

"Next weekend is a big weekend with Temple and Binghamton," Ortman said. "We've had really close matches with Temple the past two years."

The match at Temple (1-6, 0-2 Atlantic 10) is set for Saturday at 1 p.m.

Email: sports@ubspectrum.com