Just Jammin'

A glimpse at the UB Jam Club

On a Sunday afternoon in the Student Union Theater, students gathered to orchestrate music from all genres. From classical rock to funk, the spectrums of genres vary.

The UB Jam Club has been rocking out for 10 years, according to Philip Dreisin, a junior economics major and president of Jam Club.

After a great night of relaxing and playing music with his floormates in the Ellicott Theater, one of Dreisin's friends invited him to check out the Jam Club.

Dreisin, who has been playing the guitar since the sixth grade, found it refreshing to come to UB and meet students who enjoy playing music as much as he does. Since joining Jam Club, he has made an effort to practice more and takes music more seriously now.

Rather than hand out flyers or write on chalkboards in classrooms, most of the promotion for the club comes by word of mouth, according to Anders Maybeck, a sophomore political science major and secretary of Jam Club.

When Maybeck saw Jam Club on the list of Student Association clubs, he was ecstatic. He thought it was going to be difficult to find time and a place to play the drums.

"I was hoping that there would be some kind of music club that was offered that would give me that opportunity," Maybeck said. "As soon as I started to come to Jam Club, it seemed like a laid-back place, and they had solid equipment that I could use."

Jesus Villalobos, a sophomore environmental science major and vice president of Jam Club, said most people who come bring diverse musical preferences and playing styles to the group.

"There are obviously basic jam elements of music like funk or rhythm and blues," Villalobos said. "Every person who comes has different styles. They kind of incorporate [them] into what they do when we actually put something together."

These multiple styles of music can be heard coming from the Student Union Theater every week when the 20 members join together for a jam session. Instruments are set up on the stage and any member is welcome to get up and play, according to Villalobos. The diverse group of people ensures no two songs are the same.

He enjoys the opportunity to play with such a unique group.

"In college, you don't have so many opportunities to play," Villalobos said. "I like to be loud. There is nothing like cranking up the volume when you play, and when you're in a small room, your possibilities are limited."

This all changed with the formation of the band Venture Pilots.

Venture Pilots is made up of four members of Jam Club, including guitarist Villalobos, bassist and vocalist Adrien D'Angelo, guitarist and vocalist Dreisin and Maybeck on drums.

They describe their music as a wide variety of genres but relate themselves to jam bands like Aqueous, Phish and Umphrey's McGee.

According to Maybeck, the band was able to release two original songs on SoundCloud, which enabled the members to promote their talents.

Venture Pilots is also a moneymaker for Jam Club. It receives compensation towards the club because they perform at SA events. This extra money can help benefit the club when it comes to buying equipment, Maybeck said.

Future plans for Jam Club include setting up a small music festival next semester on Baird Point for local bands such as Universe Shark and Venture Pilots to come together and play, Villalobos said.

Universe Shark is made up of the founders of Jam Club and UB alumni.

The club hopes if the event is successful to eventually turn it into an annual Spring Fest-type event for local bands to come to UB and perform.

Editor's Note: Adrien D'Angelo is the Arts Editor at The Spectrum.