Five reasons to stay inside this winter

The most anticipated quarter of the year for gamers has arrived. This holiday season offers everything from first-person shooter blockbusters to expertly crafted cult classics. If you are a fan of epic adventures or modest puzzle solving, there is going to be something for everyone on your Christmas list this year.

Game: Halo 4

Developer: 343 Industries

Price: $59.99

Platform: Xbox

Microsoft's legendary sci-fi, first-person shooter returns. Explore the enigmatic world of Requiem and take the fight to a new and terrifying enemy: the Prometheans. With lighting fast gameplay, cutting edge graphics and a masterful soundtrack Microsoft's flagship ticks all the boxes. Halo 4 features split-screen, online competitive multiplayer and co-op.

Game: Mark of the Ninja

Developer:Klei Entertainment

Price: $15/1,200 Xbox points

Platform: Xbox/PC

One of the most acclaimed downloadable games of 2012, Mark of the Ninja combines classic side scrolling gameplay with inventive and polished stealth combat. Master the shadows and uncover the secrets of the mysterious tattoos that empower your quest for vengeance.

Game: Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Developer: Treyarch

Price: $59.99

Platform:Xbox/PS3/PC

Release Date: Nov. 13

One of the most anticipated games of 2012, Activision's juggernaut reignites just in time for the holiday season. Call of Duty: Black Ops II sets the bar for military first-shooters as it combines relentless breakneck action with stunning graphics and an arsenal of weapons. Black Ops II returns with Call of Duty's signature competitive multiplayer and the wildly popular zombie mode. Retailers like GameStop and Best Buy offer rewarding pre-order bonuses, as well as the season pass ($49.99) that allows access to all four DLC packs that will be released in 2013.

Game: Pok?(c)mon Black 2and Pok?(c)mon White 2

Developer: Game Freak

Price: $34.99

Platform: DS/3DS

Keeping it simple. The next generation of trainers has arrived and it is once again time to "catch 'em all." Explore new areas of the Unova region populated with over 300 unique Pok?(c)mon to pelt with an arsenal of Pok?(c)balls. Black and White 2 features a new movie-making studio and The Pok?(c)mon World Tournament that allows players to combat powerful gym leaders from previous Pok?(c)mon entries.

Game: Assassin's Creed III

Developer: Ubisoft Montreal

Price: $59.99

Platform: Xbox/PS3/PC/Wii U

Release Date: Oct. 30 for PS3/Xbox - Nov. 18 for Wii U - Nov. 20 for PC

Join the battle for independence as the Assassins Creed series brings the fight to the Revolutionary War. Combining elements of action and stealth with a healthy dose of Parkour this third-person perspective adventure brings history and fiction to life. Assassins Creed III features solid competitive multiplayer that pits assassins against each other in online combat.