Everything you need to know about the iPhone 5

Apple has dominated in MP3 players and has been considered the Mercedes-Benz of cellular phones since the iPhone was first introduced by the late great Steve Jobs in 2007.

On Sept. 12, Apple proved his legacy will continue moving forward by unveiling the new iPhone 5 at its September 2012 keynote. Here is a quick run through of everything you need to know about the iPhone 5.

Physical Aspects: The iPhone 5 is taller, thinner and lighter than previous iPhones - making it one of the thinnest, lightest smartphones on the market. The iPhone 5 will be 80 percent thinner with a 4-inch screen, and it contains 12 percent less volume. The phone is made up of an aluminum unibody and a stronger glass screen.

Display: With MacBooks and iPad 3s receiving much sharper display than previous models, it's only right the iPhone 5 receives the same treatment. The high-resolution phone now pumps out 44 percent more color saturation to make pictures, videos and apps display brilliantly.

Inside: Inside the body of the Apple device you will find the new A6 processor. Because the charger has now been reduced in size, there's plenty of room for the new processor. Overall performance and graphics are now twice as fast.

Battery: The iPhone 5 has a smaller charger. With that extra room, consumers now get a longer-lasting battery. 3G talk time, 3G browsing and LTE (4G) browsing can now run for eight hours on the iPhone 5. Wi-Fi browsing and video can run for 10 hours, music can run for 40 hours and the phone can survive on standby for 225 hours.

Lightning: "Lightning" is the name of the new charging device/dock connector. It is much smaller, more durable and is reversible so you don't have to see which side is up and which is down. You can buy an adapter to connect your old iPhone charger to the new one.

Software: iOS 6will come with turn-by-turn GPS, new Safari features and an upgraded Siri.

Camera: The back camera on the new iPhone has the same amount of megapixels as the 4S (8 megapixels). But it now captures pictures 40 percent faster, has the ability to snap pictures in low-lit settings and also has spatial noise reduction. The front camera is 720p and now has facial recognition. There's built-in panorama for the phone now, and we now finally have the ability to run FaceTime over 3G.

Microphone and Speaker: Three microphones will be built into the phone - located at the bottom, back and on the face. The number of transducers in the speaker has increased to add more volume and turn your phone into a mini stereo.

Price: The rumor the new iPhone 5 will be priced at $800 is very far off. The phone will carry the same price as the 4S when it was released: 16GB $199, 32GB $299, 64GB $399.

Pre-orders for the iPhone 5 will begin on Sept. 14 and phones will be shipped to the United States and Canada on Sept. 21.