Buffalo outdoor summer concert guide

In a city where winter dominates nine months out the year, those last three months of nice, warm weather are a big deal. When warm weather gracefully eases its way through these Buffalo streets, outdoor events and other forms of entertainment are booked every which way.

Buffalo's music scene is certainly not lacking throughout the year. Indoor concerts are organized in Buffalo's various venues including Mohawk Place, Club Infinity, DBGB, Town Ballroom, and Mister Goodbar. However, the summeris the three-month time to revel in the music presented outdoors. Thursday at the Harbor, Buffalo Place Rocks the Harbor, Artpark concerts, and Vans Warped Tour are all places to be when you're not at UB.

This summer provides a wide variety of concerts to appease any music fan. Ranging from hip-hop and '90s classics to reggae and punk, this summer's concerts on the harbor and at Artpark are especially diverse and will provide a summer full of fun for reasonable fees.

Thursday at the Harbor:

Formerly known as Thursday at the Square, a free outdoor concert series on Thursday nights at Lafayette Square in downtown Buffalo, this series has permanently moved to the waterfront at Erie Canal Harbor Central Wharf providing the perfect backdrop for a summer sunset accompanying an entertaining night of music. Now called "Thursday at the Harbor," this free concert series goes from 5-9:30 p.m. and is located in downtown Buffalo near hotspot clubs and bars to help continue the entertainment from the concerts.

Schedule:

July 5 - Arrested Development

July 12 - Seether

July 19 - Young The Giant

July 26 - Arkells and Gomez

Aug. 2 - The Jesus and Mary Chain

Aug. 9 - Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Aug. 16 - Salt-n-Pepa

Aug. 23 - Matt Nathanson

Who To See:

Arkells and Gomez - Arkells will make their fast return to Buffalo after performing with The Maine and Lydia in May at Club Infinity. This five-piece alternative rock outfit from Canada will provide a highly entertaining and passionate show that will have the whole audience dancing to their catchy guitar riffs and drum beats.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Although ska music had its heyday in the '80s and '90s, the grandfathers of ska, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, prove that the years have not endangered their craft. They continue to bring high energy music, clad in their suits, and will have the audience "skanking" the night away to the '90s classic, "The Impression That I Get," while showing why they continue performing after 29 years when the band originated.

Salt-n-Pepa - Anyone who has been fortunate enough to grow up in the '90s should experience this show. There is no better way to relive the glory years of childhood than dancing to "Push It" with the power female duo that originated the popular party anthem.

Buffalo Place Rocks the Harbor:

Located at the Erie Canal Harbor Central Wharf, this concert series is similar to Thursday at the Harbor with many big name bands. These concerts take place from 6-11 p.m on various nights.

Schedule:

Friday, June 29 - Sam Roberts Band, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals

Saturday, June 30 - moe. and Conspirator

Friday, July 13 - Weezer

Sunday, July 15 - Feist

Friday, Aug. 31 - The J. Geils Band

Saturday, Sept. 1 - LL Cool J featuring DJ Z-Trip

Who To See:

Weezer - This highly popular group of rockers led by frontman Rivers Cuomo is a must-see for any rock music lover. Since its inception in 1992, Weezer has been bringing the classic alternative rock sound as well as nine full-length albums, years of music making, and accolades. Popular classics such as "Buddy Holly," "Say It Ain't So," "Island in the Sun," and "Beverly Hills," have outlasted the years in which they were created, leaving an everlasting musical stamp on society.

"Tuesday in the Park" at Artpark:

Another popular hotspot for summer concerts in Buffalo is Artpark in Lewiston. With popular and diverse acts ranging from hip-hop to punk, any music fan will spend a great deal of time at concerts without spending a great deal of money. Artpark presents its "Tuesday in the Park" series with tickets ranging between $5 and $15.

Schedule:

June 19 - Kansas

June 26 - Foreigner

July 3 - Huey Lewis & The News

July 10 - Sublime with Rome

July 17 - YES with Procol Harum

July 24 - Heart

July 31 - Steve Miller Band

Who To See:

Sublime With Rome - The many genres that encompass Sublime is enough to attract many fans to this show with its characteristic summer time music combined with reggae and ska elements. The lyrics to "Doin' Time," "Santeria," and "What I Got" will surely be screamed in unison amongst the audience and will continue to be summer anthems.

"Coors Light Wednesdays" at Artpark:

The Wednesday concert series especially represents summer-mood, laid-back music with the likes of jam band O.A.R. and the reggae stylings of Bob Marley's son, Ziggy Marley, and Rebelution.

Schedule:

June 20 - Ziggy Marley

June 27 - Tokyo Police Club

July 11 - Lowest of the Low

July 18 - The Trews with special guest illScarlett

July 25 - Citizen Cope

Aug. 1 - O.A.R. with Rebelution

Who To See:

O.A.R. and Rebelution - Jam band O.A.R. is no stranger to performing summer concerts in Buffalo and leaving lasting impressions. Rebelution has performed in Buffalo previously, and graced the Thursday at the Square stage in 2010 with Latin band Ozomatli with a high energy show. Rebelution is a perfect opener for O.A.R., setting the atmosphere and tone for the talents of the individual band members to coalesce and provide a meaningful show experience with instrumental solos and Marc Roberge's characteristic harmonic low voice. These two bands combined will provide the "Love and Memories" for the remainder of the summer.

Vans Warped Tour:

The Vans Warped Tour is one of the most anticipated annual summer music festivals. Attendees will be able to see some of the best musicians in rock and punk music, including metal and hardcore band and Buffalo natives Every Time I Die, in which newcomers to the festival can get a taste of the type of talent that comes from Buffalo. Other popular acts to perform at the festival include Four Year Strong, pop-punk veterans New Found Glory, Yellowcard, and Taking Back Sunday.

July 17, at Darien Lake will come complete with all the pop-punk music one could want and all the free stickers and autographs from bands, with a little bit of sunburn and mosh pits thrown in.