David Archuleta is second place no more

Artist: David Archuleta

Album: The Other Side of Down

Label: Jive

Release Date: Oct. 5

Grade: B

The 2008 American Idol runner up, David Archuleta, will have you tapping your feet and feeling good with his new album The Other Side of Down.

Archuleta is back on the scene after last year's holiday album, Christmas From the Heart, and he does not disappoint this time around.

The album is reminiscent of the retro-pop style from his first album Crush, and is perfectly sculpted to the image of feel good pop music. Listeners will have a hard time feeling anything but joy as the gleeful techno beats and uplifting lyrics blast through their speakers.

His current single, "Elevator," is certainly one of the standout tracks. If you haven't caught this song on the radio yet, be sure to keep an ear out as it is one of the best songs on the album. It's not your typical Top 40 hit, but it is one of the catchiest songs on the album and really shows off Archuleta's range.

Another great track on the album, "Stomping the Roses," is sure to have you humming all day. With a bold mix of crisp guitar riffs and synthesizer tones, "Stomping the Roses" may very well be the biggest hit of the album.

"Falling Stars" is one of the catchier songs on the album and puts Archuleta's vocal range on display. The song is pretty simple and it does not rely on heavy synthesizing, as does much of the album.

Tracks such as "Something About Love," "Parachutes and Airplanes" and "Look Around" are overall low points for the album. An overabundance of auto-tune spread over ill-conceived, bubbly lyrics makes for weak songs.

Despite the album's faults, the Idol star has produced a quality work that is sure to please diehard fans as well as casual listeners. With upbeat lyrics and catchy tunes, there isn't a whole lot to not like about the album. Expect to see a few tracks off of The Other Side of Down on the Top 100 soon.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com